Why I Decided To Go Cruelty-Free|April 2017

by - 12.4.17

Yes I'm posting even though I said I won't. 

And yes, I've decided to use only cruelty-free makeup.

For a makeup lover like me, it's a hard step to take and I know to some of you, it might sound silly or dumb. It's just a lipstick after all...Right? That's exactly what I thought when I saw a picture of rabbits being tested on in a lab. So why should I kill a rabbit to make sure that one lipstick is safe for me to use. In fact, there are so many brands now that sell amazing and safe makeup without having to test on animals. And I'm not going to sit here and lecture you if you use non-cruelty free makeup because this is just a personal decision that I wanted to make. I just wanted to share with you guys some of the reasons that I decided to go cruelty free.
I honestly think that it changes the way that you see beauty. You really don't have to compromise the quality of your products just because you are buying cruelty-free. I personally feel more satisfied now, when I pick up a product. I feel happier when I walk past a makeup display for L'Oreal or Maybelline. I read this on Elite Daily and it rings so true: "You don’t just buy products; you invest in values, too."(you can read more of the article here) You are standing up for what you believe in by making those decisions.

But I can't say that it came easy. Most of my favourite products are non-cruelty free and it really sucked having to stop using those. You must be wondering what I did with all of those products. No, I didn't throw it all out. I am still using them behind the scenes, just no longer promoting them on my blog. It would be a waste of money to throw them out especially because I still like those products. What surprised me is that almost half of my products were non-cruelty free. 


That being said, I didn't technically make the decision on my own. I was inspired by other YouTubers and Bloggers who made the switch. It showed me that you can still enjoy makeup regardless of the products that you use. And these were people who had a lot more non-cruelty free makeup than me.

Here are a few people who inspired me: Bella Fiori (YouTube), Eline Blaise (YouTube and Blogger). LogicalHarmony (Blogger) and Cruelty Free Kitty (Blogger). Logical Harmony and Cruelty Free Kitty and my go-to people to check out if ever need more information on which brands are/aren't cruelty free and products that they love to use. 

So I also wanted to share some info for those of you who are considering going cruelty-free especially if you live in Belgium and are a student because it can be really hard sometimes to find affordable brands without having to order online. 

Okay, to start off- What makes a brand cruelty-free?

A brand that is cruelty-free doesn't test their ingredients or final products on animals, nor do they allow third parties or suppliers to test their products on animals. Now, most brands comply with all of these conditions because by law in Europe, since 2009, animal testing is forbidden. However, and this is the big factor, brands that are cruelty-free don't allow testing on animals even if it is required by the law (aka in China). In China, it is compulsory to safety test all the products on animals, so if the brand sells in China, then they are not cruelty free. 

Some examples of brands that are not curelty free for this reason are: L'Oreal, Maybelline, Avon, Benefit, EOS, Rimmel, Bobbi Brown, Yves Rocher and Max Factor. For a full list you can check the one on Cruelty Free Kitty here.

Another thing that often causes disputes, is that whether or not you should buy from companies that are cruelty free but their parent companies test on animals. For example, the Body Shop is owned by L'Oreal however, as far as we know, the Body Shop is cruelty free. And I say YES! You should buy from them because it shows the parent companies that they are getting more income from cruelty free brands than the other ones, so hopefully, they will make the change.

So finally, what affordable brands are cruelty free?

Some examples are: Essence, Catrice, Makeup Revolution, Max and More, Sleek, The Balm (although more on the expensive end), EcoTools, ELF, Kiko Cosmetics, WYCON, GOSH, 2B Colours, LUSH, NYX and Physician's Formula; you can find more here on Cruelty Free Kitty.

I hope that this post was informative if nothing else and I'll be sure to give you guys updates now and then and share my favourite products. I still do stand by what I've said in my previous posts and product reviews in the fact that they are amazing products individually. Of course, there is no judgement if you continue to support those brands but if you are cruelty free too, then please recommend some of your favourite products.

I hope that you've been having a fab holiday and I'll see you in my next post (For real this time though) x

This picture has such a powerful message and I hope that it helps you understand the issues behind animal testing. 

*The image is not mine. I can't find the source of it though.*


You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. I loved this post, Nikita! Going cruelty-free was a struggle at first, but I realized most cruelty-free brands are also vegan and organic. It's done wonders for my skin!

    https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It means a lot to me! It feels so good now that I can support the right companies but still enjoy what I love to do. x Thanks for reading and showing your support as well! xx Nikita

      Delete
  2. I feel like going cruelty free would be amazing, but I have a rather large makeup collection that I just couldn't throw away, it'd be a total waste of money. I really hope more of the mainstream companies start to go cruelty free soon xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's a shame that companies like Maybelline and L'Oreal aren't cruelty free. It can be a tough decision especially because I have to give up some of my favourite products once I've used them up. Thanks for reading! xx Nikita

      Delete
  3. I had no idea that L'Oréal, maybelline and benefit tested on animals! Really eye opening, thankyou for sharing xx
    Liv//livslack.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hopefully by spreading awareness, more companies will stop testing on animals. x Nikita

      Delete
  4. I had no idea that some of those brands weren't cruelty-free! I really respect your decision to only buy from animal-friendly brands, and I think it's something that I'd like to work towards in the future. This post was really insightful!

    Olivia - The Northernist x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't regret it! It can be hard at first and I'm still learning, but you soon find products that you love and it doesn't seem like that much of a big deal anymore. Plus you know that you're supporting a good cause! xx Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. I definitely need to make this switch I just always find it difficult to find affordable brands that are also cruelty free so I'm glad you've recommended some!
    There's no need for this type of testing so I'll be making a conscious effort to only buy cruelty free from now on :D

    Coffee & Avocados

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I find it so rewarding and you definitely don't need to throw out all your non-cruelty free makeup. Just make the transition slowly like I am. I would definitely recommend Cruelty Free Kitty as she has so many brands to recommend. Thanks so much for reading! x Nikita

      Delete
  6. I so hate the fact that that Maybelline is not cruelty free.... As is am not interested in makeup...nice and informative post Nikita ...

    Recently posted...Skincare Villa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame right? Thank you for reading Sonali! x Nikita

      Delete
  7. I see more and more people making the switch to cruelty free, it's fab!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so amazing isn't it! Thanks for reading Corinne x Nikita

      Delete

I appreciate every single person who comments and everyone who takes time out of their day to stop by my blog.

Please don't leave follow for follow comments. I really don't like them. You can however leave a link to your blog and I will check it out. If I like it, then I'll follow xx Nikita

Copyright Nikita Rajkumar 2016-2017