Why I Would Never Quit School for Blogging/YouTube

by - 24.6.17


I know that in the past few years, the blogging and YouTube community has really grown. There are a lot more people using these platforms as creative outlets and a lot of them are making quite a bit of money as well. Now, money is of course a bonus, and I blog because I love it. But for others, it is their job and I appreciate that they need to make money to pay the bills.

What is happening now is that a lot of younger people, around my age I would say, are making enough money and have a following large enough to quit school at 16 and focus solely on their blog/channel. I think it's great that some people can do that but I don't see the point. I'm not here to judge you if that's something you want to do but seriously? Blogging is fun and it's a great thing to do, but do you really think it's going to last forever?

Let's take a scenario. A 16 year old girl/YouTuber who has over 500,000 subscribers quits school to pursue YouTube full time. In another say 5 years, when YouTube may not be as popular as it is (and in fact, there are already less and less people watching YouTube now), what would she do? She would be 21, with no income, no further qualifications and yes, of course she would have experience but is that really enough in today's day and age where there is so much competition?

I think I'm just finding it a bit hard to explain what I'm trying to say. Personally, I think it's actually quite stupid and I'm not going to apologize for saying it. I honestly think that it's stupid. Okay, if you want to work in media and film making, and you're pursuing YouTube as a full time career, then I can understand. You can post short movies and showcase your work. How long can you post beauty related videos? I can't see myself blogging in another 20 years time (but that's a whole other story for another day). Can you?

I just can't see it as sustainable.

You may be wondering what inspired me to write this post and there wasn't actually one particular thing that initiated the idea. It's something I've wanted to share for a while, but I was waiting for a time when I could put my thoughts into words, and it just doesn't seem to be happening. I watched a video before writing this, and the person talked about how they were going to quit school. And all I could think was O M G ANOTHER ONE.

It's understandable that maybe school just isn't for you but there are plenty of other options post-16 and post-18 and leaving school isn't the only way to go. You can do an internship or do some volunteering. I don't know too much about it but I do know that there are lots of possibilities.

I would love to hear your views on this. Let me know if you think differently and why.

x Nikita

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. This was such an interesting post to read and I think it was very brave of you to post it. A lot of people these days think that if they become famous on Youtube, or social media in general then they are set for life but I agree with you in saying that it isn't going to last forever. I love blogging but if it was my job, I feel like it wouldn't be as enjoyable!xx
    Grace Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Grace! I think that it's time people talk more about this subject. I feel the same way as well. I think there would be a lot of pressure that would take the fun out of it. x Nikita

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, love it!
    Could you click the links in this post? Maybe follow for follow, too? :)

    http://veronicalucy.blogspot.com/2017/06/black-bodysuit-yoins.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I absolutely love blogging I'd never want to do it as a full time thing. I don't want to to ever feel like a burden or turn it into the only source of income which would lead to a lot of pressure on myself as it would be how I paid the bills. This is something I love doing on the side and no matter what will continue doing it on the side. Great post! A lot of people do get caught up in the pipe dream of being a full time youtuber or influencer and it's just not a reliable career to pursue.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Blogging is something enjoyable and you wouldn't want to ruin that but doing it full time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! x Nikita

      Delete

I appreciate every single person who comments and everyone who takes time out of their day to stop by my blog. I reply to every single comment even if it may take some time. Join the family! x Nikita

Copyright Nikita Rajkumar 2016-2017