The Real Techniques Core Collection Brush Set Review

by - 5.7.17


Beauty blenders and sponges have been the rave for a while. Every brand, whether it be high end or drugstore is coming out with their own sponges to "dupe" the original. But I'm honestly kind of over it. I used to love using brushes and I don't know why I stopped. I got this Real Techniques brush set for my birthday from one of my lovely friends and I decided that if I was going to start using brushes again, then I should go all out. This is the Core Collection Set. I know that RT has eye brush sets and of course, the very well known, Bold Metals brushes.

I really like the size of the brushes and I think it's so thoughtful how the set comes with a travel case to safeguard them. I haven't seen any other brush sets that do the same. The handles are very comfortable to hold and the bright orange covering makes them smooth and easy to clean. It also makes it easy to identify them from the handles. The set comes with 4 brushes: Contour brush, Pointed Foundation brush, Detailer brush and Buffing brush.

Here are the claims:

4 Steps to complete coverage


Create a perfect canvas with our core collection of coverage essentials.

  • contour brush: delicately applies highlighter to the cheekbones for a sheer, soft-focus contour
  • pointed foundation brush: unique cut for use with liquid foundation to build custom coverage
  • detailer brush: precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or, use with lipstick for long-lasting shape and definition
  • buffing brush: ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation

I'm going to talk a bit about the best uses for each brush but I think that the pictures speak for themselves in terms of their softness, shape and size. I'm so happy with how the photos in this post turned out. I'm trying to 'up' my photography game a bit so hopefully it pays off!

The contour brush is probably the most versatile brush out of the whole set. You can use it to set underneath your eyes, to contour (duh Nikita! That's why it's called the contour brush), to bake/brush away your bake and to blend out your highlight for a more natural look. I personally prefer a more angled contour brush but this works really well to blend out the contour to give a "naturally contoured cheeks" look.





The pointed foundation brush is not really something I would use to apply foundation. I personally prefer a much larger brush, but this it's good for applying moisturizer or primer and to apply and blend out your concealer. The shape ensures that it fits really well underneath your eyes and if I think that it would be perfect if you are going to do the James Charles (hi sistersssss!) method of concealing your nose before foundation.




The detailer brush is the least useful to me. I like to use it if I go for an inner corner or brow bone highlight but it would be perfect to shape/clean up your eyebrows. I don't really go crazy on my brows as I like the natural look. But gurlll if you like your brows pointed and ready to cut, then this will be the brush for you.



The buffing brush is my favourite of the whole set. It's SOO good at blending your face makeup. It's not streaky at all and it gives the most beautiful finish on your face. It's the perfect size for my face because my face is on the smaller size (in my opinion anyways) and some brushes tend to be too big. I really want to try this brush with a cushion foundation because I think that it'll work so well. If you have any cushion foundations to recommend, then please let me know!




I always heard people talking about how much they loved RT brushes, but now I can see why. They've quickly become a staple in my everyday makeup routine and I much prefer the finish they give as compared to a beauty blender and there's no fuss of having to dampen them. The brushes are so soft and they're so easy to clean, which is always a bonus. The product just washes out so easily with a bit of soap and some hot water. They feel like they're going to last for a long time. Definitely something to put on your wishlist! I'm looking forward to trying out more of their brushes. I know that they have a pink brush set that has a blush brush and the single, GIGANTIC powder brush. I felt it in store and it feels SOOOOOOO soft omg I can't even explain it. I have a similar one from HEMA and my face feels like I'm floating on clouds when I use it.

If you live in Belgium, this set is available at Di for around 15 Euros (I think, but don't quote me on that!)

What are your favourite brushes?
x Nikita

You May Also Like

20 comments

  1. I have to admit that I don't wear enough makeup to truly appreciate brushes and all that but what I can say is that they look very pretty, and indeed very easy to travel with!
    Lucie, xx

    http://thefrenchpier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha it's okay and thank you! They are display worthy! xx Nikita

      Delete
  2. OMG I need new brushes so I am definitely checking these out! I have had the same brushes for years haha!

    Lauren Lindmark | dailydoseofcharm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you found some new ones that you like. Hopefully this review helped you x Nikita

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Real Techniques, they are such good brushes for the price! I have the pointed foundation brush that I use for my concealer and the smallest brush! I agree with you, they are sooo soft!!!

    Sophia xo // sophiaaaxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've started to enjoy using the foundation for concealer as it makes the concealer blend out so quickly into an even layer. Thanks for reading Sophia! xx

      Delete
  4. These are some of my favourites too! The contour brush is probably my all time favourite, and I actually like the pointed foundation brush to apply concealer :) xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown more and more of a love for the contour brush because it's so versatile. I use that brush for concealer too; it's so good for creating an even layer on the skin. x Nikita

      Delete
  5. I do not know enough about make-up to fully appreciate this post, N!
    But, I see your passion for make-up and it inspires me!
    I can see you love this content and you're good at it!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you S! I appreciate that you read and comment so much, even though not everything interests you that much. Lots of Love xx Nikita

      Delete
  6. This is a brush set I bought a few years ago and my goodness, I still love it and use it pretty much regularly!!! :D They are amazing, aren't they? The price tag doesn't break the bank and they are really amazing quality. I think I only skip on the foundation brush because I prefer my Beauty Blender :) Loved the review, girl!
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've lasted you for so long! They absolutely are and and they're so affordable. I would repurchase over and over again. Thank you so much Nadia! xx Nikita

      Delete
  7. i absolutely love RT brushes, they're my go to x

    sophiejc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, they've become mine too! xx Nikita

      Delete
  8. Wow! Amazing post!

    Mihaailo | mihaailo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that set! I have most of these brushes already and love them! I need to get a more detailed brush though that one looks fabulous for getting things perfect! x

    - Eternalleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I want to try more RT brushes because the quality is stellar. And yes, I think that it's amazing. It's even good for eyeshadows xx Nikita

      Delete
  10. Ohh I want these brushes soo bad, I hope I will get them one day. Great post! I follow you, I hope you will follow me back ♥
    https://marized.blogspot.rs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! They're totally worth it. Thank you! x Nikita

      Delete

I appreciate every single person who comments and everyone who takes time out of their day to stop by my blog. I reply to every single comment even if it may take some time. Join the family! x Nikita

Copyright Nikita Rajkumar 2016-2017