Jeffree Star Skin Frost (Dark Horse): Worth the Hype?

by - 6.8.17


Jeffree Star's makeup line is always hyped up, especially as his new Summer collection has launched. I have one highlighter from Jeffree Star that I got last year for my birthday but I never actually reviewed it. It's the perfect shade for summer so I thought, what better time than now to share it? Also I know that they're called Skin Frosts but highlighter is just more convenient for this post which is why I'm calling it that.

A small disclaimer: I'm reviewing the product, not the person who created it. I know that Jeffree has said things in the past that are unacceptable, but he's now apologized and I believe that we should forgive and forget. I don't buy a something from a brand based on who's behind the product. If you don't like Jeffree, then I'm sorry but he has amazing products and I like them, so yeah. 

THE PACKAGING AND COST

JS products have iconic packaging. The bright pink pan with the symbolic star; it can't be missed.

I'm not going to lie, the highlighter is expensive. They retail for $29 plus shipping prices which vary depending on where you live. However, you do get 15g worth of product. Usually, highlighters are about 7-8g so this is nearly double. If we want to get into the nitty gritty, it's just a little less than $2 per gram. But a little does go a long way, that's something to remember!

As I'll mention a bit later, the formula is very soft so I'm always afraid of it breaking. Although the packaging feels sturdy, I'm wary that it is just made of plastic so I don't know how much you can expect from that. It may survive the occasional drop or bump but I'll never feel safe enough to bring this on holiday with me.

The name is written in huge letters on the back so I'm not worried AT ALL about it fading but then again, the product is so recognizeable without the name. If you do want to collect them all, then this will come in handy. Thank you Jeffree! I hate when the name fades because it makes the product seem old and worn out.

Finally, there's a HUGE ASS mirror on the inside, one that's big enough to do your makeup with. The only downside is that the product does get onto the mirror so you need to clean it regularly if you want to use it. As you can see, mine has been cleaned quite a few times already.

They're sold on his website and on Beauty Bay (currently on sale for 18 Euros from 29.90 Euros!)


THE PRODUCT

Right, none of us are new to a blinding highlight and we all know that JS is famous for it. The highlighter itself isn't chunky or texturized. The glitter is very finely milled. When swatching the powder, it felt very soft and creamy. I've never felt such a buttery highlight or one that applies so smoothly onto the skin. Another thing I like about it is that it's easy to layer on the skin (which you certainly don't need to do!) and you can blend it out on the skin with ease.

Jeffree's logo is stamped into the highlighter and I think that it's such a cool touch. It doesn't fade even if used frequently which I like because it completes the whole 'look' of the product.

I like to apply it with a fan brush or a slightly fluffier brush if I want to have a more natural glow. Regardless of the brush you use, it's pretty much impossible to get that really authentic natural glow. I don't mind that because I prefer a 'in your face' kinda highlight.

This is just one swatch. I lightly used my finger to pick up some product and you can tell that it's seriously pigmented. This shade is for medium to dark/deep skin tones. It's a very deep, true copper-gold (that's the best I can do to describe the shade!). I saw a few lighter golden colours on his website that could be more suitable for fair skin, but you can always use it as an eyeshadow, mix it in with some lipgloss or for your inner corners. It's a truly versatile product.


Do you own a JS highlighter or would you ever buy one?
x Nikita

You May Also Like

22 comments

  1. This highlighter looks beautiful, I have had two JS Skin Frosts before, both limited edition but I really was not impressed but I do think I need to try one from his permanent collection, maybe Ice Cold! Great review!
    Grace xx
    gracexkate.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning! I fall in love again everytime I use it. I think that the quality of his limited edition products isn't as good as the permanent range because they have to supply such a large demand. It's definitely worth trying Ice Cold because I've only heard great things about it! xx Nikita

      Delete
  2. I never use highligther but this one looks so good for summer!
    Lucie, xx

    http://thefrenchpier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning! You should definitely try highlighter. I was hesitant at first but they've quickly become my favourite makeup item ever! xx Nikita

      Delete
  3. I really want a Jeffree Star highlighter but I don't know what one to go with, I am thinking about getting Peach Goddess. I LOVE THIS HIGHLIGHTER! It looks stunning on your skin tone!

    Sophia // https://sophiaaaxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH Peach Goddess looks beautiful! I recommend reading some reviews before purchasing as some of his shades aren't the same quality as his others. Thank you so much babe! xx Nikita

      Delete
  4. This looks like something I would use! I want some but college student and I have a budget haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha it's 100% worth saving up for! I can test out some more affordable dupes if you would like and let you know which ones work xx Nikita

      Delete
  5. $29?! That's insane haha! Sounds like it's worth it anyway!

    Anika xo | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is but really worth saving the money for! I'll test out some dupes and let you know if you don't want to shell out the money though xx Nikita

      Delete
  6. I really want to try something his line, he takes pride in everything! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really does and I admire that about him! You should definitely try something. I've only tried this one product so I can't tell you much but everything looks amazing on his site x Nikita

      Delete
  7. I've heard such good things about JS products. I really want to try the highlighter. It looks gorgeous, Nikita!

    https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! He has so many shades so I'm sure you'll find one you like x Nikita

      Delete
  8. I think the shade is really pretty, but I'm not really one for a blinding highlight, and so I prefer cream or liquid highlighters x

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try some cream or liquid highlighters. I hope he comes out with some in the near future x Nikita

      Delete
  9. Blinding highlights are my jam!! Love!!

    Genevieve Cordery | www.blueaugustine.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yesss I have a skin frost, King Tut, and I'm obsessed with it! xx I know Jeffree hasn't been the best and even he is embarrassed his past self - let's forgive and forget and enjoy some amazing makeup! xxx
    Marina xx
    http://marinawriteslife.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm head over heels in love! I believe in forgive and forget and I think it's time that some people do as well. He gets so much hate even after apologizing. xx Nikita

      Delete
  11. Totally with you on these being a lot of money, but they are really great! I really love his highlighters xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're stunning! I think there may be some dupes but the quality and feel makes it hard to find anything else like them xx Nikita

      Delete

I appreciate every single person who comments and everyone who takes time out of their day to stop by my blog.

Please don't leave follow for follow comments. I really don't like them. You can however leave a link to your blog and I will check it out. If I like it, then I'll follow xx Nikita

Copyright Nikita Rajkumar 2016-2017