What I've Been Reading July + August TBR

by - 2.8.17


I'm back again with another installment of What I've Been Reading (basically where I talk a LOT and very passionately about books for a very long time). You lovelies seemed to like the last one so here I am again! You must be thrilled. Honestly, sometimes I wonder why you read all this nonsense I write about.

THE BLOODY CHAMBER AND OTHER STORIES BY ANGELA CARTER

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I haven't heard many people talk about this book. BUT WHY NOT? OMG. I don't even know where to start (probably the beginning you say). This has become on of my favourite books of all time (don't worry it hasn't replaced Pride and Prejudice-if you read the June What I've Been Reading you'll know). It's a compilation of short stories all written by Angela Carter in her unique style.

Angela Carter is so good at story-telling and twisting traditional fairytale stories into modern classics that touch upon strong themes like violence, male dominance and objectification of women. This small book covers all of that as well as deception, betrayal, shape-shifting, death, purity, women, beasts, vampires, gothic literature, supernatural-ism, MIRRORS. ALL THE MIRRORS. I LOVE THE MIRRORS. (Can you tell?) I can go on and on. It's just so magical. That's all I can say.

When you read it, you feel transported into a completely different world of storytelling. It's obvious that Angela Carter is a feminist but don't expect women to "save the day" or anything like that. It doesn't always happen. I love how the women are open to accepting the relationship between the two genders.

Out of all the short stories, I think my favourites were The Lady of the House of Love because of the whole atmosphere that was built up and I thought that the Bloody Chamber was really good as well because the storyline made me expect something but I was actually surprised at the ending, but not really. I realize that I'm making no sense here but what I'm trying to say is that I anticipated the ending, but it still managed to surprise me.  LOOK HERE. I loved them all so there's realistically no point in me trying to pick out a favourite.

JUST READ IT WILL YOU!!

RATING: 5/5




FINDING AUDREY BY SOPHIE KINSELLA

Soph, listen up here babe, I love your writing and all, but ya kinda (a teeny-tiny bit) disappointed me with this one tbh. I expected more of you babes.

Finding Audrey is about a girl who when through a traumatic experience at school and now doesn't/refuses to leave the house. She sits at home wearing black sunglasses 24/7 and doesn't do much because she suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder. Right, that's all well and good but what really bothers me about this book is that it seems to be treated like a joke. The whole matter about mental health is treated insensitively throughout.

I also feel like there are chunks of information missing and things that don't make sense. Here's a quick rundown.

1. HOW CAN SHE JUST FALL IN LOVE WITH LINUS? I. DON'T. GET. IT. For those of you who haven't read this book, you're probably going to be confused and wonder who Linus is. Well Linus is Audrey's "love interest". It's beyond me how a girl who can hardly talk to her family and look at someone in the eye, can fall in love with a boy after meeting him a couple of times. SHE RAN AWAY THE FIRST TIME SHE MET HIM FOR GOD'S SAKE! And Linus is the one who helps Audrey recover. The pieces just don't fit together for me. This whole Insta-love thing didn't work for me and that's basically what this is. A BOY CAN'T BE A MAGIC CURE!!

2. Her parents are SOO stereotypical and her mother is CRAZY (like legit). Her dad isn't really involved with the kids and her mother is the "I'm going to talk about what I used to do when I was a kid and stalk you 24/7" kinda mom. She has this huge vendetta against Frank (Audrey's older brother) and him playing video games. It even gets to the point where Audrey's parents go on a date but instead her mom is spying on Frank from his window and falls into a rose bush underneath. UMM WHAT?? She is the epitome of insane. Oh and she also just chucks a laptop out of the window. If that doesn't tell you something, then I don't know what will.

3. Finally, you never find out in detail what actually happened to her to trigger this Social Anxiety Disorder. I mean at least tell us what it was Sophie!

WHY SOPHIE WHY? I love her writing in all her other books. I can respect that she's tried to talk about a more sensitive issue and I did like the "My Serene and Loving Family-Transcript" part of the book. I think that Sophie Kinsella's writing shone through there.

RATING: 2/5



I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN BY JANDY NELSON

I'll give you the sun is painfully beautiful. It's written metaphorically like a flowing poem, like the most beautiful of beautifulness that could ever exist. It's about love, loss, family, betrayal, perception, lies, honesty, siblings, variety in the ways we express ourselves. I can't believe that someone can write so artistically and beautifully and perfectly, yet painfully. Everything in this book is quote-worthy.

"I didn't know that you could get buried in your own silence"
"When people fall in love, they burst into flames"
"Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story"

ART. THIS IS TRUE ART.

Sometimes when you read a book, you feel like you can relate to the characters but here, I feel like I am the characters. I feel like I am Noah and Jude. Every secondary character has such a true outlook and such a true story. The lies and secrets intertwined with the unfathoming love. I just can't. Each and every word. Each and every character; you feel like your standing on the page with them. You can feel them in your soul.

It was so heartbreaking and cruel and lovely and crazy and artistic and metaphoric and messy and perfect. It was REAL. SO DAMN REAL.

There's just something about it that doesn't let me give it five stars. And I think that something is the end to Noah and Brian's story. No spoilers so I won't say, but I can say that he deserved better.

RATING: 4/5


THE LAST LETTER FROM YOUR LOVER BY JOJO MOYES

'Me Before You' is the first book I read by Jojo Moyes and I fell head over heels in love with her writing and the story that she told. Last month, I read 'The One Plus One' by Jojo Moyes which disappointed me. I had no hope for this book after reading that one and THANK GOD I didn't! The book was B-O-R-I-N-G and tedious to read. I felt like someone was droning on and on. No character to the writing. No interesting story. It's worse than a sappy romance novel and it's confusing as well. The characters were all so flat and one dimensional to add to all of that. I seriously cannot believe that this is the same person who wrote one of my favourite books. HUGELY disappointed Jojo! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

I'm not going to be reviewing this one because frankly, I think it's a waste of time but if you do want to hear more about the story then check out the Goodreads Reviews.

RATING: 1/5


A MAN CALLED OVE BY FREDRIK BACKMAN

My aunt ordered this book so I borrowed it off her to give it a go as I had heard so much good stuff about it. You'll be pleased to know that finally, FINALLY, I wasn't disappointed. I was laughing all the way through about what a grumpy, old man Ove was.

The book is a clever story about an old man called Ove (duh!) and he's very angry at pretty much everything in life. He believes that things need to be done in a certain way and every single rule and regulation MUST be followed. The book is structured almost like a series of short stories along the main story-line of a man who is dealing with the loss of the only person who ever understood and loved him.

If I had to describe it in one sentence, I would say that it's almost like a coming of age novel about a 59 year old man. I mean I loved the story with the "vagrant cat" and all the short punchy lines like "selective obesity" is one I'll never forget.

If you want to read a funny, page-turner that'll have you in a mix of emotions, then this is the one for you. It's only around 300-350 pages so if you're not into reading, then I would still suggest giving this one a go.

RATING: 4.5/5

MY AUGUST TBR

Here are the books I plan to read in August. This is is my last month where I'll actually be able to read because school's going to be starting again in September. It's always BUSY BUSY then!

-This Side of Paradise by F.Scott Fitzgerald
-The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald

Yes, I'm carrying these two on because I'm actually going to be reading them on my Kindle!

-The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
-Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
-The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak

What have you been reading this month?
x Nikita

If you want to keep up with what I'm reading, then check out my GOODREADS.

You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. I really want to read I'll give you the sun now, it sounds so beautiful the way you described it x

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful and I'm sure you won't be disappointed! xx Nikita

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are amazing! I've just finished the Great Gatsby and I LOVED it!! xx Nikita

      Delete
  3. The first book you recommended sounds really great, I haven't heard of it either. I'm sure you'll like the Great Gatsby, it's a decent book! I have a few books on my TBR, for example The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS! The Bloody Chamber is honestly amazing and I've already re-read it as I enjoyed it so much. I've got The Hate U Give on my TBR as well. I've read The Handmaid's Tale about 2 years ago and I can't really remember what it was about, so I'm guessing it wasn't that good. It's still worth a shot though! xx Nikita

      Delete
  4. I loved the Finding Audrey, Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorite authors! :)

    www.letmecrossover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! She's one of my favs as well xx Nikita

      Delete
  5. There are some really good sounding books here, it's a shame not all of them were great! I'll Give you The Sun sounds amazing!xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think overall I found some great reads but some were disappointing! It sure is! You NEED to read it xx Nikita

      Delete
  6. I really want to read the Sophie Kinsella book!!!! :D

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't enjoy it that much but maybe you will! x Nikita

      Delete
  7. I need to get more into reading. It has been a while since I have enjoyed a good book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESS! You're life is incomplete otherwise (at least that's what I think ahaha) xx Nikita

      Delete

I appreciate every single person who comments and everyone who takes time out of their day to stop by my blog. I reply to every single comment even if it may take some time. Join the family! x Nikita

Copyright Nikita Rajkumar 2016-2017